Wednesday 3 August 2011

It's A Miracle!!

In February 2010 I collapsed in my bathroom. When I came around I couldn't feel or move my legs. I couldn't stand up and walk out of the bathroom I walked into. I dragged myself across the floor and up onto my bed. I have been fully reliant on a wheelchair ever since.

My consultant told me to, once a week, try and stand to 'remind my legs what I want them to do'. I have done this every week for the last 18 months. My legs were dead. I could drag myself to an upright position using upper body strength only for a few seconds. The last time I did this was on Sunday.

Today I was able to stand up using just a door frame to hold onto for balance. I was leaning forward on my wheelchair and the back of my legs were just leaning on the back of it. I held the door frame and stood. If I let go I fell back. But I STOOD!!

Back in the living room, I stood from the sofa and held onto the back of my wheelchair and stood. It was painful in my legs but I STOOD. I still cannot feel or move my legs at all. But I STOOD.

I have now stood 5 times. This is an absolute miracle and (whether you believe or not) I am so grateful to God. I never thought I would be able to stand ever ever again.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing hun, I'm so happy for you. I hope this lasts and it's the first 'step' towards a big improvement in your life xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations... best news ever! :) Wishing you strength in your continuing journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND NOW I'M CRYING THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS and i left the caps lock on again oh hun if i could hug you right now i so would xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just as well I have taken the eye make up off!!! Well done you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such good news! Am all emotional - sending you love from my holiday in Paris. May you one day too walk these beautiful streets. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really happy for you Laura, could *feel* your joy in your written words.. :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful news x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fantastic news. So pleased for you. Was there a reason for it happening. It must have been so frightening for you Laura. Youbare so brave. Let's hope this is the start of something good Babs xx

    ReplyDelete